3/5/09

Nanci's Creative Castings Part 2 ~ The Epiphany...


So, one summer (2005), as I noticed several plants in my garden sporting large leaves, I decided to try leaf casting "just for fun" - I had seen enough sites that explain how to do it, so I just took pointers from them all and tried it- I'm pretty much the type who can look at anything "artsy" and figure out how to do it on my own. I was hooked after the first try - they were so detailed and lifelike that I had to do more!
Towards the end of the year, I was trying yet another hospital craft bazaar with my jewelry, except that the lady next to me also had jewelry, PLUS had a very professional display, AND she was an employee there ! Needless to say, I barely sold anything, had a lot of compliments- although- as DH says, "If compliments were dollars, you'd be rich!" They weren't- and I wasn't!Anyway, I did, for some reason, take 5 leaf castings with me, put what I thought were highish prices on them, and they sold! Quickly. And they were asking for more! Well, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but even I could figure out where this was going! The next season, I was off again, this time with leaves! They quickly progressed from the plain rough cement, to some color with cement dye, to completely hand painted, with hooks to hang them or fittings to put on copper pipe for birdbaths! OK, hubby was the one who kept insisting I should paint them, so I have to give him credit for that. I believed at first that leaf casting was a craft, but painted...in my mind,that transformed them into Art!

No comments:

Post a Comment