7/12/09

Nobody Warned Me This Would Happen


I really enjoy participating in art and craft fairs- of course, or I wouldn't do it! BUT, it never occured to me that, in order to be ready to go at 7:30 or 8:00 or 9:00 AM, you have to be starting at 5:30 AM or so! Not being any kind of an early bird (all they get are worms), I really dread climbing out of bed in the middle of the night. Coffee is my drug of choice on THOSE mornings!

THEN, half asleep and irritable, we get the dumb questions all day ( all artists/crafters get dumb questions, I'm sure they're different depending on what their art is)- "So, you make molds from leaves?" "No." "So you cast a leaf and make a mold from it?" "No." "So you Plaster of Paris a leaf and THEN make molds from it?" "NO! NO MOLDS!"

"So, is dese things ashtrays?" "No." (Does anyone even USE ashtrays anymore?)

" What are these made out of?" "They're cement." "Oh, so at what temperature do you fire these?" "They're not fired -they're CEMENT." "Are they dishwasher safe?" ... "Hey, my sister does pottery, too".etc...Sigh.

Actually, I don't normally get irritated, it's sort of humorous ( "let's count how many times we get THAT question"), and the people who end up becoming my customers rarely ask stuff like that, I've noticed. Come to think of it, though, I don't remember getting as many dumb questions when I was making jewelry...




No comments:

Post a Comment